"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -Lao-tzu, Chinese philosopher

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The cart before the horse

I’ve gotten so and passionate about this trip and emotionally attached to these children and about child sponsorship in general, that if given the opportunity I think I could talk for hours to friends and family about it. At times I worry that I’ll talk too much and I have to hold myself back… I wish I could insert here ‘just kidding’ but to be honest and fair… I’m really not kidding… J

Getting to go to another country to see for my own eyes what my sponsorship has done for this family, and will continue to do for them in the future will be a real treasure.

I’m sure it will be hard for me to leave when it’s time to go and I’m sure I’ll feel like I’ve left something undone or unsaid; or that there may be more I could do if given just a few more days. I’m sure I’ll be emotional, that’s a given.

The mother of these two small children wouldn’t be able to afford to keep them in school on her own and for me to be able to help her in the smallest way is very comforting for me. Being able to go see her and her children is going to be so overwhelming that I’m sure the time I spend there will go by way too quickly. I haven’t even gone yet and I already know I will want to return to the DR in the future.

Maybe I’m putting the cart before the horse.

6 comments:

Roger Gustafson said...

Putting the cart before the horse? Doesn't sound like it. It sounds like you're putting the heart before the head, and that can be a very good thing, seems to me.

Anonymous said...

You’re just very excited about the trip that you’re thinking too much. I can truly tell you that the help we give to the children we sponsor is very satisfactory; it gives me a sense of accomplishment. I hope to be able to visit one of my children. Have fun.

Anonymous said...

YES, you probably ARE putting the cart before the horse! :-) Relax -- you can surely trust that your obvious caring and kindness will matter so much more than any little thing said or unsaid (or said too much to understanding family and friends!), done or undone. And you are already doing so much, just to sponsor, let alone travelling to go meet them! Remember CI's motto -- you don't have to do everything, just the something that you are doing! And it makes a huge difference. You are right, what a treasure this trip will be, so savor and enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I know, it's very hard not to talk at length about sponsorship and one's sponsored kids... luckily my mom is also a sponsor and is happy to indulge me, and one of my friends would sponsor if she could afford it.

I hope you have a great DR trip and I'm sure everything you said about it will turn out to be true. Do try to remember that whatever you can do is far more than the kid would have without your help (I have to tell myself that too) and enjoy seeing the benefit of your involvement.

Anonymous said...

I know how hard it is not to talk about it too. I am sharing the upcoming trip to Cartagena, w/my coworkers and they are excited for me. One was so surprised to learn that I have 4 sponsored children there (one is group sponsored) and they have been contributing little items to send to the children like lotions and soaps. I keep imagining the moment I lock eyes with the two little girls that I have been sponsoring for over 6 years and experiencing the nervousness of actually being there in person.

I know that you will have a visit with your children to last you a lifetime and I know that they will be so happy to see you! You are really making a difference in their lives :)

Anonymous said...

You will see you are right about it, because even from a distance you know you are making a difference. Looking forward to hearing how it went...