"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -Lao-tzu, Chinese philosopher

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Focus!

I think I’m ready…

I’ve had more precautionary immunizations than I’d probably need to travel to the moon. Passport has been acquired after a brief holdup because of a misplaced birth certificate. Flights have been booked. Lodging in the Dominican Republic is in the works with help from the child sponsorship organization. Agendas for the days I’ll be visiting are being planned and my packing list has grown a bit out of proportion trying to plan for unknown conditions.

I know there’s plenty of time to finalize anything I may have left out or think I may be forgetting.

As the spring season ends and routines in my household start to change I realize summer is here and I am eager for this trip to arrive. As I count the days again, I’m having for force myself to focus and stay on task.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uuhh, I'd be too excited too!! :)

Anonymous said...

It's usually not worth it to pack for every contingency, unless you're really going to be staying 25 miles from nowhere. Take sunscreen and bug repellent. You probably don't have to worry about being chilly. An umbrella would be a good idea. You will probably not be invited to a formal affair, so you won't need to get dolled-up. Generally speaking, I always just pack what I'd use at home to do the things I'll be doing while travelling.

Santo Domingo has modern conveniences; they're just not available to the poor. You'll probably be able to buy what you forget (or what you'll need for that surprise cotillion or hot date); it may cost more than you're used to paying, but believe me, it will be worth it not to be dragging around the stuff you don't need.

Twenty-five years ago, my then-roommate spent 2 weeks in the DR--I don't remember her having to get an unusual number of shots before she went. (I'm sure she had to get some, but not so many that it was a point of conversation.)

Anonymous said...

Have a great time! How exciting to be going to visit sponsored kids! I can't wait to start planning my trip and to post about it - I don't blame you at all for not being able to concentrate!

Anonymous said...

I bet you're so excited! Can't wait to hear how it goes!! God Bless