"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -Lao-tzu, Chinese philosopher

Monday, August 29, 2011

Beautiful braids

During the home visit with Daichela I had given her a small back-sack as a gift with a few toys, ponytail holders, a doddle pad and some markers and crayons. The very first thing I noticed the next day at the science center was that her mother had done her hair with the little ponytail holders I’d given her the day before.


That was such a good feeling.

When I take the time do my daughter’s hair it’s a time for both of us to sit still and maybe talk about the day. If it were in the morning we might talk about what the day might have in store for each us. If it was in the evening we might talk about what had happened in the day that was exciting or frustrating.

When I saw Daichela’s hair full of beautiful braids and thought about how much time that might have taken, I wondered about them sitting together and what they might have talked about. It could have been about how uneasy or nervous she might feel about seeing me again, or maybe how overwhelming it all was to have a group of people come to her home just to see her.

I really hope it was about how excited she was.

No comments: