"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -Lao-tzu, Chinese philosopher

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Sweet dreams

Not much time was wasted before I received a response to my question asking if there might be items that I may be able to help with for José as well. I was a bit surprised that the letter said he needed a bed.

It made me wonder if he currently had an old one that was in need of being replaced or if he had been sharing a bed with his mother or sister. I know many children in families short on money or with little living space share a bed with their siblings or even their parents.

Maybe getting this bed would give him a little more self-esteem or independence because he would have his very own bed. It could be that both children are currently sharing a bed with their mother and this new bed may possibly allow her to have her own sleeping space.

I quickly sent a letter back saying that I would gladly support the purchase of a bed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely gift! A good night's sleep can make all the difference in the world. I know I'm much better at studying and paying attention in class when I've slept well.

Anonymous said...

Good for you for getting Jose a bed. He's a lucky kid.

I had a girl who I didn't know needed a bed until I asked. My guess is that kids sometimes have a bed that's too small, or old, or substandard, or maybe frames without mattresses, and that may not show up on the Family Report.

Anonymous said...

Good going... a new bed.

Anonymous said...

It's quite common for the kids to need beds. Many sleep on the floor, which is often dirt. Filling that need is one of the things CI emphasizes (if possible), to get them away from the damp. Even when the report says the family has beds, the number of kids who can share one is reduced as they grow.

Anonymous said...

Awww, that precious boy. God bless you for helping him get that. So awesome! Hope to hear more on how it goes.

Anonymous said...

Well done.