"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -Lao-tzu, Chinese philosopher

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Tables have turned

Dear Mrs. Nieman,
This is Lisseloz, writing on behalf of your sponsored child Daichela. The child is very happy to be able to write for telling you what activities and places she likes most. We visit the church. She likes to go to the park and the rivers. She likes to play and to share with the others. She likes to eat fruit and candies. She is a very quiet and friendly child. She is understanding and obedient.
Thank you for all you do for your sponsored child!
-Daichela and her aunt, Lisseloz, say bye.

This journey has already given me so many things in return, besides wonderful letters like this one. Thinking I would be on the receiving end of this sponsorship journey really wasn’t what I envisioned, but the tables have certainly turned, and I’ve been completely blessed by two beautiful children that I’ve never met.

I know I cannot change the life of every suffering child in the world, and there are much worse cases than the children living in the Dominican Republic. But if I can take a few steps to let these two small children I’ve sponsored know that they are being cared for through small donations, a few letters and prayed for along the way, why not? These children have so much to offer their community, and the world, if only given the chance.

4 comments:

Roger Gustafson said...

What a great way to look at this: "If I can take a few steps ... why not?" Really, why not? If we can help, even in small ways, why would we not do it? The kids are there, the chance is there - why not make a difference? Thanks, Wendy.

Susan said...

What a great writer you are! Perhaps you don't realize how much information you are conveying as you experience these first steps, but hearing about your children through the eyes of a "mom" is so heart-warming - brings a tear to the eye. Keep up the good work Wendy...and may God use you to inspire others to support all the children of the world. Susan

Brooke said...

What a great idea Wendy! I look forward to following your journey!

Anonymous said...

I agree.