"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -Lao-tzu, Chinese philosopher

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Our first letter

After the New Year we received our first correspondence from little, Daichela. Because she is only 5 and unable to write the letter herself, the letter was written for her by her mother in Spanish and then translated for us by the children’s organization.

Dear Mrs. Nieman,
I am very grateful of you for your kindness choosing Daichela as your sponsored child. She is very shy. She likes to ride bike. She is very smart and she likes to paint and talk. She is very lovely and sentimental. Her favorite food is fried food and she loves to eat and to sing. Her favorite subjects in school are Art and Spanish. I pray you like my daughter a lot. With love says goodbye of you.
-Daichela and her mother

How could I not have loved her? Her favorite subject is art; she loves to paint, is sentimental, and likes to talk. Hmmm… Divine plan?

I immediately wrote a letter back to Daichela and her mother telling them a little about myself and my family. I also included a photo and told them how excited I was to get their letter and wished them well.

The area in which Daichela lives is known for its sandy beaches and tropical weather. What tourists to the Caribbean area don’t get to witness is the poverty of the local communities.  I learned that with my sponsorship Daichela will be provided with access to a community center that was built by the children’s organization. My sponsorship also covers the cost of clothing, shoes, basic healthcare needs and educational support. In turn, I would receive letters from her and her family about twice a year telling me about her as well as progress reports from the children’s organization on her health and activities.

What an exciting adventure this will be for both Daichela and I.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a charming letter, and it sounds like you got just the sort of child you'd like most. You'll be a great help to Daichela. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

When I read the letter of Daichela´s mom I get goose flesh. Daichela seems to be a very sensitive girl who very much will appreciate letters and attention through her sponsor!

Anonymous said...

Yes! It is the most exciting adventure! You will make a big difference in Daichela's life. I am looking forward to hear more about her.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your sponsorship of Daichela; she sounds like a real sweetie. :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for sharing. I hope to hear more about your beautiful Daichela in the future. God bless.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your first letter! It's amaing the feelings that one slip of paper can evoke in you. I wish you many more like it!

Anonymous said...

Since you've written to her, you'll get a reply to your letter. If you write your child regularly, you can get 4 letters a year, or more if the child chooses.