"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -Lao-tzu, Chinese philosopher

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Fulfilling a need

I had someone ask me recently why I chose to sponsor a child in the Dominican Republic rather than help a child here in the US.

At first, I really wasn’t quite sure what to say. I suppose the honest answer was when the opportunity presented itself it just happened to be a beautiful little girl from the DR. It never occurred to me to worry about where she was from; I just knew that this little girl’s smile pulled me in.

It may have been simply that both she and I were in the right place at the right time. She needed someone to help ease her family’s financial burden of her schooling, clothing and  a few other necessities and I had a place in my heart that needed an outreach to give back, and this little child fulfilled that need.

I feel as if I’ve been the one blessed in this very fortunate course of events.

6 comments:

Roger Gustafson said...

Right place, right time. That's what counts.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your story!

Anonymous said...

I've heard so many people ask that and sometimes it is as if there is something wrong with not sponsoring a child in the US. I feel that the US has more support and programs for children in need. I use to sponsor children in the USA but it seems like the focus was on getting things that weren't necessities., imo. So many kids like the Zambian children I sponsor are in the need for basics, food, water, an education. I know that US where I live can get free breakfast and lunch at school but one of my Zambian kids may go for days without any food if school fees are not paid. I do want to sponsor some Native American children when I can afford it and if I can find a strong program that I can support. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I've gotten comments like that too. My honest reply as that I think compassion, need, and humanity have no borders. I don't think about which country I'm helping when I do charity...I think about the need and my capacity to fill it. The world is my family, and everyone in it deserves an equal shot at a good life.

Anonymous said...

I'm curious about your sponsorship in the Dominican Republic. I almost sponsored a girl from there once; I look forward to reading further updates.

Anonymous said...

Humanity should be universal. Who cares where a child is from... it is a beautiful child! God Bless you!