"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -Lao-tzu, Chinese philosopher

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A cooking pot with a lid

Child sponsorship costs so little and covers some of the basics like medical and dental care, educational assistance, a few items of clothing each year and access to basic food items, but the sponsored children's families struggle with extreme poverty every day.

There's a special day each year that is set aside by the organization to honor the families of the sponsored children by giving the family a special and needed, practical gift.

A few weeks after designating a few dollars to go toward this venture, I received a letter saying my donation had been used to purchase a large cooking pot with a lid for the children’s family.

As I thought about this family needing and receiving such a basic item like a cooking pot with a lid, I imagined that it might be replacing an old unsanitary or rusty item that had been witness to most, if not all, of this family’s meals.

Full of guilt, I thought of the many pots and pans in a lower kitchen cabinet of mine.

I think I’ll be going through pots and pans soon to donate what isn’t used enough to warrant keeping.

3 comments:

Roger Gustafson said...

I wonder what these people would think of George Carlin's riff on "Stuff." What would it be like to live with one pot, one pair of pants, one of whatever?

Anonymous said...

Very touching. I am amazed every time I take a moment to realize how much we take for granted. Thank God for people like you who give of yourself. God bless you and your sponsor child. Peace&Love

Anonymous said...

This journey has given me and my family other values in our lives too.